Swansea Wagons 2 - Double Box Set
'Clyne Valley Colliery' & 'W.Craven Llewelyn
--- THIS EDITION IS NOW SOLD OUT---
For its 2017 exclusive private owner wagon release, Swansea Railway Modellers' Group has commissioned from Dapol a special “Swansea Wagons - Double Box Set”. The set features ‘Clyne Valley Colliery Company’ & ‘W.Craven Llewelyn’ 7-plank wagons in a limited edition set which will only be produced once [so make sure you register your interest below!].
These highly attractive wagons have now arrived and can be seen in the photograph below.
This is an edition of 450 wagons from Dapol, 200 each in OO and N gauges and 50 in O gauge.
The prices for each of these wagons remain extremely competitive in spite of increases generally and are as follows [note, the prices shown do not include postage - please enquire via the registration button below for further details].
The wagons have been checked over, numbered certificates placed with them and they are now on sale.
Those who wish to order by post should place their orders either via the 'Register Interest' button further down below or by e-mailing Noel Blows [see next line]. Those who wish to buy in person should either ring or e-mail Noel Blows to arrange a collection time and venue.
For more details you can contact Noel Blows at 07775895054 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
The 2017 wagon commissions: a brief historical note
The Clyne Valley Colliery was one of several collieries with a broadly similar name and was situated in Clyne Valley, to the west of Swansea, in an area just north of Blackpill. Close to the long-defunct line of the LNWR’s Swansea Victoria – Pontarddulais route, the colliery’s life was relatively shortlived. Opened by Cline [sic] Merthyr Collieries Ltd. in 1903, it was then acquired by Cammell Laird Ltd in 1913. That colliery worked three main seams of coal but closed in 1915 following legal disputes over access to coal under a nearby estate. At its height, the colliery employed nearly 350 men.
The remains of the colliery workings have now been completely obliterated under undergrowth and a car park and so can no longer be found. Other colliery remains in the area can be still be found in the undergrowth adjacent to the Clyne Valley cycle path however, which runs along the formation of the old LNWR/LMS/BR line.
William Craven Llewelyn [1892-1966] was a prominent Glamorgan man who had many interests. Whilst initially studying mining, he specialised first in forestry and timber and worked for the Board of Trade. In that capacity he travelled right across the globe investigating the timber production. However, after The Great War, he returned to his coal interest and engaged in colliery operations, brick manufacturing and agriculture. WCL also stood twice for Parliament as a Liberal, unsuccessfully.
WCL owned a number of mines in the Swansea area: the Mynydd Newydd Drift near Penllergaer, opened in 1933 and the Daren Colliery, Trebanos, re-opened in 1932 over the workings of the closed New Graig Colliery [itself opened over the workings of the first Daren Colliery]. Both of these ventures lasted into National Coal Board ownership.
Two extremely vintage models of the Club's 2017 commission, built many years ago by Club member John Rogers. The wagon on the right is a wooden-bodied Peco 'Wonderful Wagon' dating from the mid-1950s [and which ceased to be available from the same time], and still running.