Members’ Update No. 74
As promised in the last newsletter, an update would be issued once the artwork for the three wagons making up the ‘Tirdonkin Trio’ commission had been received. Dapol has now sent the artwork and, it having been approved for production, it can at last be shared to give some idea of what the final wagons will look like.
Once the wagons have been produced, the actual colours [the reds] will vary a little from the illustrations as a digital reproduction from a scanned printed copy has its inevitable limitation: these images are close to what can be expected however, although wagon No 284 will be less brown, as shown, and rather more burgundy red.
Below, you’ll see the approved artwork alongside some original photographs of the wagons upon which the ‘Trio’ are based, together with pricing and release details. This promises to be our most exciting – and ambitious – commission yet: we sincerely hope that you enjoy it as much as we will and support us in this venture!
As explained on the club’s website [Products section], SRMG has ordered 900+ wagons from Dapol: 120 in 0 Gauge, 450 in 00 and 360 in N. These will be split equally between the three different wagons. The wagons will be sold in sets but may also be available singly at a premium price. Additionally:
- Every wagon set will contain a laminated Limited Edition numbered card.
- A split pin will be added to all of the 0 Gauge sprung couplings, preventing the coupling spring from dislodging when lengthy loads are hauled.
- A label proclaiming 'Swansea Wagons 3' will appear on each box.
- Wagon 284 has an unusual figure ‘4’, deliberately replicated from the original black and white photograph.
- The wagons will be delivered during September 2017 with their launch at the Swansea Model Show on the 7th & 8th October. Club members and existing collectors will be notified of the upcoming launch and be able to order and pay for their stock prior to the show but delivery will only take place from 7 October onwards.
- For each of the 3 gauges the stock will be available as follows:
As touched on above, in order to avoid having to queue for purchase and payment at the October show, members and collectors may prefer to order and pay in advance. Do this and your stock will be boxed and set aside when it arrives and thus your purchase will be absolutely guaranteed, regardless of how many sets are sold on the day of the launch. Given the much larger customer base at the show, this may be a prudent course given the speed with which the club’s two earlier commissions sold out.
Finally, UK postage, packing and insurance will be £4.50 per set of 00 and N gauge stock. 0 gauge wagon postage tends to be different and for this and all other purchase enquiries, buyers are asked to contact Noel Blows in person at the club or via: